Kate's Korner

Here I hold forth on matters writerly, and anything else that takes my fancy.

Name:
Location: Boyertown, Pennsylvania, United States

I've got enough short stories published for SFWA membership, and I'm in the middle of making the next jump to novel sales. The mad genius parts are true. I'm quite insane, and I qualified for Mensa at the tender age of 8 but never actually joined up. As far as I can tell being a mad genius isn't a good thing, although it can be fun.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Perfect Record Continues Unbroken

Another form reject from F&SF, coupled with Analog's insulting form reject for a different story. I'm not going to bitch about the situation with the magazines, since I've already said plenty about that in the last post ;)

It's about time for an update on my current projects, so here goes.

Novels.
  • New Camelot - 100500 word novel, being vetted by readers to see what it still needs after the last heavy edit/revision cycle. Set in a near future alternate world where King Arthur & co. were returned in 1940 after the bombing of Buckingham Palace killed the English royal family.
  • Spellweaver 1 - Darwin and I are working together with this one. Our aim is to have it ready for submission by October. Urban fantasy meets quantum physics and havoc ensues.
  • Spellweaver 2 - I'm three chapters into the first draft, making good progress. Darwin's commenting as it goes, and when I'm through the draft, he'll take his pass at it to flesh out my normally rather spare style and add the technical doo-hickery he does so well. In this one, hundreds of years of more or less stable obscurity for mages are about to get blown to pieces.
  • Technomage Unleashed - sucky title for an interesting novel that is promising to turn into an epic. I may even commit a trilogy here. The champion of a dark Goddess and a technomage newly come into her gifts may be all that stand to prevent the destruction of their society.
  • Daughter of the Dream - outlined novel, again with the strong possibility of committing trilogy. Australian style Dreamtime magic meets murder, mayhem and politics in a fantasy ancient Australian setting.
  • Plague of Roaches - outlined novel, also with the possibility of committing trilogy. Science Fiction with a weird mix of space opera and mil SF. A distant human world gets used by cockroach-like aliens, and finds itself in the middle of a war against the Roaches' sworn enemies.

Short Stories

  • So far, 13 in submission. Anything that gets rejected gets sent to someone else as soon as I have time to do it (usually the weekends)
  • I'm in a short story a week challenge. So far, I haven't missed once. I've done a variety of styles, from fantasy/sf blends, humor, SF, fantasy, fairy-tales... It's a learning experience, and a lot of fun.
  • I'm also trying to average 1 new submission a week, which is starting to get interesting as I run out of major markets. I'm well into the second string markets (the ones that pay less than pro rate, but not an absolute pittance), and doing my best to make myself ineligible for the Writers of the Future competition.
  • I have a few series of shorts that are proving difficult to place: the orcs (no-one seems to want crass, belching, flatulent orcs who save the world with their malodorous gaseous emissions), the spacefaring vamps (SF/Fantasy blend. Not easy to place). I may end up with a third series about AIs who think with music and their engineers who need to be musicians as well as technicians. We'll see.

That about sums it up. Not overcommitted, am I?

Kate

1 Comments:

Blogger Darwin said...

Oh, no, you're not overcommitted at all. You've got plenty of room to do a variety of other things. Maybe you should consider becoming a girl scout troupe leader to fill up all your extra time. ;)

Darwin

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home